After years of overcoming obstacles to secure pristine habitat for elephants and rhino’s next to the greater Madikwe reserve, in 2021, ERP - together with our partner – the Barokologadi Community...
After years of overcoming obstacles to secure pristine habitat for elephants and rhino’s next to the greater Madikwe reserve, in 2021, ERP - together with our partner – the Barokologadi Community, finally launched this long-term strategic project. We have established the ERP Melorane Game Reserve, on community-owned land, that we lease, and are creating economic opportunities for beneficiaries of the Barokologadi Community Property association.
Through our 90 year lease of the community-owned property, the ERP Melorane Game Reserve has become our flagship project. We aim to franchise this model into many other conservation areas.
Some highlights from 2021 are:
- We have completed the big-5 game proof fence around the conservation area, and registered the area as a Game Reserve. We are also implementing our anti-poaching model to protect rhino and elephants on the conservation area.
- We are protecting big trees that will eminently be exposed to elephants accessing the Molatedi dam, by putting beehives in them. The beehives are owned by the Melorane Apiarists led by ERP’s Portia Morudi.
- We have completed a community survey, providing invaluable information on the skills and needs of the Barokologadi people, to whom this land belongs.
- We have created a trust fund that we use to seed fund business around the conservation area, amongst others the Melorane Apiaries, a Training Centre and vegetable and crop production.
- We have implemented a math learning app for self-study purposes at the schools in the neighbouring villages.
- We have a feeding scheme for orphans and vulnerable people.
- The schools in the area are the main beneficiaries of #BIKES4ERP.
In short, elephants and rhino welfare, through a strategy of poverty alleviation.